Apparently broken link on the FreeBSD FAQ

Jason jhelfman at e-e.com
Thu Dec 31 18:56:29 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 07:39:09PM +0200, Manolis Kiagias thus spake:
>On 31/12/2009 3:51 ??.??., Brie :: unixsysadmin.org wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was reviewing the FreeBSD FAQ and noticed that the link to 'The BSD
>> Family Tree' in question 1.6 is broken.
>>

>> (There is a Joomla! install at: http://dhogan.people.si.umich.edu/joomla/
>> but no BSD Family Tree in sight.)
>>
>> There does appear to be a copy here:
>>
>> http://www.levenez.com/unix/unix_a4.pdf
>>

>> However, I'm not sure if this is what was linked to at the site in the FAQ.
>>
>> My apologies if this is the wrong list...
>>

>First off, this is the right list and thanks for submitting this!
>It is the second time this linked article disappears - AFAIR there was a
>nice article explaining the BSD family and not just the diagram you
>found (which is quite good BTW). I haven't been able to locate it
>somewhere else so far - I'll change the link when I find it.
>
>Thanks!

If I may, it seems a good link would be to the handbook, itself.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/bibliography-history.html

In this link you are pointed to /usr/share/misc/bsd-family-tree, and in this
file is a link that goes to a unix history page that is:

UNIX history

At the very top, you click on the image, and that leads you to the pdf noted
earlier by the poster.

-jgh