sane configuration in Freebsd 7

Geoffrey geoffrey at reptiles.org
Tue Sep 9 14:48:49 UTC 2008

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, Warren Block wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, Geoffrey wrote:
>> 	Sorry.  I need to be more specific.  "sane-find-scanner" will
>> not find a usb scanner if:
>>
>> BURP:#device            uscanner        # Scanners
>>
>> 	is not remarked out in your kernel config file OR if you load
>> the kld uscanner.  Sane uses usblib and usblib can't find the scanner
>> if uscanner is loaded.
>> 	Yes, you have to build and install a new kernel to do this as
>> uscanner is in the generic kernel:
>> 	GENERIC:device          uscanner        # Scanners
>
> It finds mine if given it the uscanner device:
>
> % sane-find-scanner /dev/uscanner0
>
>    # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
>    # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
>    # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.
>
>    # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure
> that
>    # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
>
>  found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x010a) at /dev/uscanner0
>    # Your USB scanner was detected. It may or may not be supported by
>    # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.
>
> Instead of modifying the generic kernel, just change the Handbook note on
> using sane-find-scanner to include /dev/uscanner0 when checking for USB
> scanners.
>
> -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA

 	/dev/uscanner0 was not being created in my installation.  This
was the source of my grief.  That said the kernel somewhat saw it:

Sep  8 13:25:41 burp kernel: device_attach: uscanner0 attach
returned 6
Sep  8 13:26:27 burp kernel: ugen0: at uhub0 port 3 (addr 3)
disconnected
Sep  8 13:26:27 burp kernel: ugen0: detached
Sep  8 13:26:33 burp kernel: uscanner0: at uhub0 port 2 (addr 2)
disconnected
Sep  8 13:26:38 burp root: Unknown USB device: vendor 0x05d8 product
0x4002 bus uhub0
Sep  8 13:26:38 burp kernel: uscanner0: <vendor 0x05d8 product 0x4002,
class 255/255, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2> on uhub0
Sep  8 13:26:38 burp kernel: uscanner0: bulk-in and/or bulk-out endpoint
not found

 	From the documentation there appear to be conflicts in vendor
and device ids and if you check these against usbdevs, usbdevs will see
this device and vendor as something quite different from what they are.
That said the kernel is not using usbdevs at this point.  The man page
sane-usb explains the workaround for this.

 	What Freebsd are you using Warren?

 	Cheers.

--
first step to autoholic recovery: realising the 3000 lb gorilla on your back
 			  does not become you.