sane configuration in Freebsd 7

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Tue Sep 9 14:03:49 UTC 2008

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, Geoffrey wrote:
> 	Sorry.  I need to be more specific.  "sane-find-scanner" will
> not find a usb scanner if:
>
> BURP:#device            uscanner        # Scanners
>
> 	is not remarked out in your kernel config file OR if you load
> the kld uscanner.  Sane uses usblib and usblib can't find the scanner
> if uscanner is loaded.
> 	Yes, you have to build and install a new kernel to do this as
> uscanner is in the generic kernel:
> 	GENERIC:device          uscanner        # Scanners

It finds mine if given it the uscanner device:

% sane-find-scanner /dev/uscanner0

     # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
     # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
     # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

     # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
     # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

   found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x010a) at /dev/uscanner0
     # Your USB scanner was detected. It may or may not be supported by

Instead of modifying the generic kernel, just change the Handbook note
on using sane-find-scanner to include /dev/uscanner0 when checking for
USB scanners.