docs/128342: Handbook 5.4.2 "Configuring X11" should suggest using window manager for screen resolution

Marc Fonvieille blackend at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 24 17:00:09 UTC 2008

The following reply was made to PR docs/128342; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Fonvieille <blackend at FreeBSD.org>
To: Thomas Beery <tbeery at lanl.gov>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: docs/128342: Handbook 5.4.2 "Configuring X11" should suggest
	using window manager for screen resolution
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 18:43:28 +0200

 On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 02:36:03PM +0000, Thomas Beery wrote:

 > >Number:         128342
 > >Category:       docs
 > >Synopsis:       Handbook 5.4.2 "Configuring X11" should suggest using window manager for screen resolution
 > >Confidential:   no
 > >Severity:       serious
 > >Environment:
 > FreeBSD tchrom.lanl.gov 6.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE #0: Wed Jan 16 04:45:45 UTC 2008     root at dessler.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMP  i386

 > Handbook section 5.4.2, "Configuring X11" says"
 >
 > "As of version 7.3, Xorg can often work without any configuration file by simply typing at prompt:
 >
 > % startx
 >
 > If this does not work, or if the default configuration is not acceptable, then X11 must be configured manually. ....."
 >
 > In my case a screen resolution of 1280x1024 at 60Hz on analog was desired. Startx gave a resolution of 1024x768. It was much easier to start XFce and change the resolution using the "Display Settings" tool than to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf .
 > >How-To-Repeat:
 > Matrox M400 board, broken i2c/ddc, 1280x1024 @ 60Hz desired.
 > >Fix:
 > Change Handbook section 5.4.2 "Configuring X11" to read:
 >
 > ..
 >
 > % startx
 >
 > If the default configuration is not acceptable, continue with the
 > installation of Gnome, KDE, or XFce and try to set
 > resolution/frequency using the appropriate tool. If this does not work
 > or "startx" does not display anything at all, then X11 must be
 > configured manually.

 Hello,

 And what about people using just a window manager and not a desktop
 environment?

 I'd rather have see a note:

 -
 If this does not work, or if the default configuration is not
 acceptable, then X11 must be configured manually.

 Note: Desktop environments like GNOME, KDE or XFce have tools allowing
 the user to easily set the screen parameters such as the resolution.  So
 if the default configuration is not acceptable and you planned to
 install a desktop environment then just continue with the installation
 of the desktop environment and use the appropriate screen settings tool.

 Configuration of X11 is a multi-step process. The first step is to build
 an initial configuration file. As the super user, simply run:

 etc.
 -

 --
 Marc