docs/128342: Handbook 5.4.2 "Configuring X11" should suggest using window manager for screen resolution

Thomas Beery tbeery at lanl.gov
Fri Oct 24 14:40:01 UTC 2008

>Number:         128342
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Handbook 5.4.2 "Configuring X11" should suggest using window manager for screen resolution
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD tchrom.lanl.gov 6.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE #0: Wed Jan 16 04:45:45 UTC 2008     root at dessler.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMP  i386

Handbook section 5.4.2, "Configuring X11" says"

"As of version 7.3, Xorg can often work without any configuration file by simply typing at prompt:

% startx

If this does not work, or if the default configuration is not acceptable, then X11 must be configured manually. ....."

In my case a screen resolution of 1280x1024 at 60Hz on analog was desired. Startx gave a resolution of 1024x768. It was much easier to start XFce and change the resolution using the "Display Settings" tool than to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf .
Matrox M400 board, broken i2c/ddc, 1280x1024 @ 60Hz desired.
>Fix:
Change Handbook section 5.4.2 "Configuring X11" to read:

..

% startx

If the default configuration is not acceptable, continue with the installation of Gnome, KDE, or XFce and try to set resolution/frequency using the appropriate tool. If this does not work or "startx" does not display anything at all, then X11 must be configured manually.