RFR: A "Boot Time Splash Screens" Section to the Handbook

Gabor PALI pgj at FreeBSD.org
Sun Nov 30 21:49:40 UTC 2008

Manolis Kiagias wrote:
> Here are a few nits you may want to act on.

Thank you for your review.  I fixed all the problems you pointed out and
created a new version [1][2].

> I can't tell about technical accuracy.

Hm, it seems I should really test the description myself :)

> "Note that, a 320x200 “splash screen” image will be displayed as a
> small block in the center of a solid white background screen."  => I
> don't understand what you mean by this. Since the resolution at boot
> will be 320x200, the splash screen will still fill the entire screen.
> Do you mean to compare the size of the image to a typical desktop?

To be honest, it was (blindly) imported from the original text.  As far
as I remember (I used splash screens about three years ago), it wants to
tell you something like "if you have a 320x200 image but the resolution
is higher, then it will be put in the middle of the screen".  Anyway, I
removed this sentence, since I do not see any clear connection with the
other sentences.

> While discussing text mode screensavers, it might be worth mentioning
>  that you can get the list of available savers by ls
> /boot/kernel/*saver.ko or something along that line.

Instead of this, I simply referenced the splash(4) manual page, it
should be enough.

> I also feel some longer sentences could use a few commas.

I tried to insert those commas, and split some longer sentences up into
smaller ones.

> I've only peeked at the SGML, but I am sure there is nothing to fix
> there :)

Thank you for trusting my SGML skills :)

Note for native speakers:  please, review!

Regards,
:g

[1]
http://people.freebsd.org/~pgj/patches/2008/11/30/splash.screen.section.patch.diff