docs/129281: Audio CD ripping/duplication shouldn't recommend the use of non endianness safe dd/burncd commands

Yuri yuri at tsoft.com
Sat Nov 29 21:10:09 UTC 2008

>Number:         129281
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Audio CD ripping/duplication shouldn't recommend the use of non endianness safe dd/burncd commands
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
In the Handbook section "18.6.5 Duplicating Audio CDs" it's recommended to treat SCSI and ATAPI drives differently. For ATAPI drives the use of dd/burncd combination is recommended.

In reality burncd doesn't work on all drives -- there is a long standing bug:
bin/118207: burncd(8) gives I/O error writing CD on Pioneer DVDR-112D/1.21
And 'cdrecord' command that I tried instead expects different endianness than the one produced by 'dd'.

Also 'dd' command doesn't always work on audio devices, here is the excerpt from the conversation with Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de> where  he expressed these arguments:

<begin citation>
Here is a list of cons for dd even on FreeBSD:

-	dd may not work with all drives

-	Do you know what byteorder you get from a MMC CD-ROM drive
	on FreeBSD/Sparc? You would need network byteorder on Sparc
	but the MMC CD-ROM drive delivers intel byteorder due to a
	bug in the MMC standard

	cdrecord always asumes network byte order for RAW audio data,
	this is reasonable

-	Why would you deal with raw audio data at all if there are
	audio file formats that include a notation for byte order and
	sampling rates?

-	There is no jitter check and no quality control with dd on FreeBSD,
	cdda2wav works on all OS and has jitter control and qualiti control
	with e.g. libparanoia.

-	There is no way to get the correct CD structure back if you use dd.
	Cdda2wav reads meta-data and puts them into *.inf files.

-	With dd, you cannot read intentionally defective media as sold by
	the music mafia.
<end citation>

It's much better to always deal with endianness-safe commands/formats.

My proposition:
Sub-section "ATAPI Drives" should be deleted.
Title of "SCSI Drives" should be changed to "SCSI/ATAPI Drives".

ATAPI drives are exposed as SCSI devices so there should be no problem.