docs/121871: ftpd does interpret configuration files as documented

Josh Webb josh at jmwebb.net
Thu Mar 20 15:40:06 UTC 2008

The following reply was made to PR docs/121871; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Josh Webb <josh at jmwebb.net>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: docs/121871: ftpd does interpret configuration files as documented
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 10:18:20 -0500

 Yeah, looks like mostly a documentation problem.

 The ftpchroot(5) man page, which is also the ftpusers(5) man page,
 indicates that it is for controlling ftpd(8). The ftpusers(5) man page
 references ftpd.conf(5), which as Vadim Goncharov stated, is only used
 by lukemftpd(8). If two ftp daemons are going to be included in the base
 system, both of which use ftpchroot and ftpusers but parse them
 differently, the man pages for those files should describe how they are
 used by each of the two daemons.

 As a side note, it sounds like I can get the behavior I was looking for
 by using lukemftpd, rather than ftpd.