Partition Layout in the Handbook

Remko Lodder remko at elvandar.org
Thu Jan 17 07:52:30 UTC 2008

On Thu, January 17, 2008 8:46 am, Marc Silver wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I noticed that section 2.6.5 of the handbook talks about the partition
> layout of a new FreeBSD installation.  The handbook lists the default
> partition sizes as being:
>
> 128MB for /
> 256MB for /var
>
> However, a quick look in /usr/src/usr/sbin/sysinstall/label.c shows that
> the default sizes used now are:
>
> 512MB for /
> 1GB for /var
>
> These sizes are used assuming the disk is big enough.  My question...
> should the handbook be updated with this information?  If so I'd like to
> work up a patch (complete with new screenshots etc.) to correct this
> information.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Marc

Hey Marc,

I think we should do that, more and more disks become sufficiently large
to do this, but if we can include a note: "For systems with less then X of
diskspace, the following values will be used: <list>" :-)

thanks for the willingness to work on this!

--
/"\   Best regards,                      | remko at FreeBSD.org
\ /   Remko Lodder                       | remko at EFnet