Typo in FreeBSD manual

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at FreeBSD.org
Mon Sep 3 02:02:44 UTC 2007

On 2007-09-01 14:30, Marshall Brannan <jmbrannan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I found the following typo in the FreeBSD manual under section 4.5.4.2:

> To avoid using ports, specify -PP.
>
> # portupgrade -PR gnome2
>
> "To avoid using ports, specify -PP." should be changed to: "To
> avoid using ports, specify -PR."

Actually, as Ben Kaduk noted:

    Thanks for noticing the discrepancy, but -PP is actually the
    correct way to avoid using ports

> I hope this is the right place to post a message like this!

It's the right place.  In the future, it may be worth filing a but
report with send-pr, so that the change doesn't "fall through the
cracks" and get forgotten.

I've committed the following fix:

%         <application>portupgrade</application> will use ports.
%

in revision 1.268 of handbook/ports/chapter.sgml:

% Checking in chapter.sgml;
% /home/dcvs/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports/chapter.sgml,v  <--  chapter.sgml
% new revision: 1.268; previous revision: 1.267
% done
% Mailing the commit message to 'doc-committers at FreeBSD.org cvs-doc at FreeBSD.org cvs-all at FreeBSD.org'.

Thanks for reading our documentation so carefully, but most of all thank
you for letting us know, so it can be fixed :-)

- Giorgos