Typo in FreeBSD manual

Ben Kaduk minimarmot at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 20:44:17 UTC 2007

On 9/1/07, Marshall Brannan <jmbrannan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I found the following typo in the FreeBSD manual under section 4.5.4.2:

> To avoid using ports, specify -PP.
>
> # portupgrade -PR gnome2
>
> "To avoid using ports, specify -PP."    should be changed to:    "To
> avoid using ports, specify -PR."
>
> I hope this is the right place to post a message like this!

Thanks for noticing the discrepancy, but -PP is actually the correct
way to avoid using ports -- -P tries to use packages if they are
available (falling back to ports), but -PP bails if there are no
packages.

Of course, the command-line given there should be changed to use -PP instead.

I have been told in the past that it is advised to file a PR for
something like this, even though it seems a trivial change, so it
doesn't get lost:
http://www.freebsd.org/send-pr

Thanks,

Ben Kaduk