recommended size of root partition

illoai at gmail.com illoai at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 21:49:00 UTC 2007

On 01/07/07, Dmitry Morozovsky <marck at rinet.ru> wrote:

> [snip all other]
>
> For quick estimation without instalation media, you can use jail install
> procedure:
>
> export DESTDIR=/path/to/jail (or setenv in [t]sch)
> mkdir -p ${DESTDIR}
> cd /usr/src
> make installworld distribution installkernel
>
> which gives you copy of freshly installed system ready for jail run...

Is it faster than:
# mdconfig -a -t vnode -f /path/to/6.2-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso -u 0
# mount -t cd9660 /dev/md0 /vcdrom
--(leave root so's not to worry about typos here!)--
% cd /some/scratch/directory
% cat /vcdrom/6.2-RELEASE/base/base.?? | tar zxvf -
. . . (I like to watch)
% cat /vcdrom/6.2-RELEASE/kernels/generic.?? | tar zxvf -
. . . (pages and pages of pathnames)
% rm -rf usr/ var/ tmp/
% du -d0 -h ./
36M
%
?

(this assumes that per sysinstall default /usr /var
and /tmp are their own filesystems)