RFC: The end of the contributors article

Joel Dahl joel at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jan 13 08:53:44 UTC 2007

Fre 2007-01-12 klockan 10:43 +0100 skrev Niclas Zeising:
> On 1/12/07, Joel Dahl <joel at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > Today I decided to finally do what I've been planning to do for a long
> > time: move stuff out of the contributors article and instead place it
> > under www/.
> >
> > I started with the teams etc and you can see the results here (nowhere
> > near finished yet though):
> >
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~joel/wii/team.html
> >
> > So, why bother anyway?  Well:
> >
> > -  Better information about what the different teams do and what their
> >   responsibilities are.  Our developers are generally very confused
> >   when it comes to finding the right person to talk to, for example
> >   when requesting repo-copies or new perforce accounts etc.  This will
> >   hopefully improve the situation somewhat.
> > -  The translation teams generally don't translate the contributors
> >   article since it doesn't seem to be worth the effort.  Hopefully
> >   this will change now, since this can be quite important information
> >   even for non-English speaking people.
> > -  Email addresses are not completely visible anymore.
> > -  This information does not really belong in an article.
> > -  This is more up-to-date and includes a lot more teams etc.
> >
> > Feedback much appreciated.  I'd be grateful if someone could help me out
> > with writing more descriptions of the various teams.  Also, if someone
> > could triple-check the document for obvious mistakes, such as wrong team
> > members on the wrong teams etc, that would be great.
> >
> > I haven't really decided where to put it yet, or what to call it, so
> > suggestions are welcome here as well.
> >
> > It's late here and I'm *so* tired, so sorry for any typos...
> >
> > --
> > Joel
> >

> This looks great! At least what you've typed up so far.  Scream if you
> need a hand (or rather, two hands and a keyboard, but you know ;) ).
> About placement. I think it should be put either in the community
> section or the developers section. I'm not entierly sure which option
> is best though.

Hm.  My guess is that developers looking for this kind of information
will probably click on the "Developers" link when visiting FreeBSD.org.
However, I imagine that first-time visitors etc looking for information
about our management or how we're organized will probably click on the
"About" link first.  :-)

--
Joel