RFC: The end of the contributors article

Hiroki Sato hrs at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jan 12 11:11:46 UTC 2007

Joel Dahl <joel at freebsd.org> wrote
  in <1168562996.1100.42.camel at jesus.automatvapen.se>:

jo> Today I decided to finally do what I've been planning to do for a long
jo> time: move stuff out of the contributors article and instead place it
jo> under www/.
jo>
jo> I started with the teams etc and you can see the results here (nowhere
jo> near finished yet though):
jo>
jo> http://people.freebsd.org/~joel/wii/team.html
jo>
jo> So, why bother anyway?  Well:
jo>
jo> -  Better information about what the different teams do and what their
jo>    responsibilities are.  Our developers are generally very confused
jo>    when it comes to finding the right person to talk to, for example
jo>    when requesting repo-copies or new perforce accounts etc.  This will
jo>    hopefully improve the situation somewhat.
jo> -  The translation teams generally don't translate the contributors
jo>    article since it doesn't seem to be worth the effort.  Hopefully
jo>    this will change now, since this can be quite important information
jo>    even for non-English speaking people.
jo> -  Email addresses are not completely visible anymore.
jo> -  This information does not really belong in an article.
jo> -  This is more up-to-date and includes a lot more teams etc.

 It is good to make the contributors list up-to-date, but what is the
 benefit to move it to the www tree?  And where is the source file?

 I think issue we have for the list is that this sort of information
 is scattered in the doc/www tree and the scattered information is
 difficult to maintain (remember a case of the mirror site list).  So
 I think the direction we should go is to have a directory for the
 developers, build a structure to pick up necessary information from
 it, and leave the maintenance to each developer (like pgpkey).
 Maintaining such a directory in an HTML page is not a good idea---if
 we have active maintainers of the list it will work, but it will not
 last long unfortunately.  Since I could not find the source file of
 your proposed team.html I am not sure how this page was generated,
 but if it was done by hand let's take account of the maintenance
 issue first.