Wireless Network / WPA / ipw

Szilveszter Adam sziszi at bsd.hu
Mon Feb 5 05:33:40 UTC 2007

Hello,

On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 11:12:53PM +0100, Wouter vanderPloeg wrote:
> regarding:
>
> http://www.freebsdmall.com/~loader/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/wireless/article.html
>
> 3.1.3.1 WPA-PSK
>
> there seems to be 2 problems with the WPA-PSK with the intel prowireless
> ipw2100
>
> 1) NO AUTOMATIC CONNECTION
> # /etc/rc.d/netif start
> does NOT come up with a key (it says the AP does not come with an offer)
>
> only
> # wpa_supplicant -i ipw0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
> produces the SECOND time an association

It seems that this is a problem that is specific to the Intel wireless
chips that need separate firmware files to be loaded at boot (in my case
it is iwi) The thing is, it is simply too slow to come alive and
therefore will look like requiring manual startup, but really if I wait
(sometime several seconds after the whole boot has finished) then the
link will come up eventually automatically. Of course if you have
services that need a connection up earlier, then this is not good for
you, but still, it works. (I use -CURRENT and the current iwi firmware
kernel module port)

> 2) NO CONNECTION WITH "NO BROADCAST"
> It seems NOT possible to get a connection when the AP if that is set on
> NO Broadcast.

This used to be a problem with iwi too but eventually got fixed.
Ipw may be affected as well.

But neither of these problems is a problem with the documentation,
rather both are problems with your hardware. So you should ask these
questions on the -questions or on -stable mailing lists.

--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM
Budapest