RFC: Hardware notes rearrangement

Bruce A. Mah bmah at freebsd.org
Sat Dec 30 19:24:04 UTC 2006

About a month ago, I rearranged the hardware notes on CURRENT, in effect
coalescing the multiple machine-dependent (MD) documents that got
generated into a single machine-independent (MI) document.  Basically
it's easier to read and maintain this way.

I'd like some review on a similar reorg of the hardware notes (also on
CURRENT).

The goal is pretty much the same, although it turns out this was a lot
more work:

o Each architecture has some MD sections, which I put into second-layer
sections.

o There are a *lot* more arch= attributes in the hardware notes (around
80) than in the release notes.  The conversion of these attributes is
very mechanical but as far as I can tell is not easily automated.  :-(

o The auto-generated device listings (where device lists are pulled out
of manpages) also handle the arch= attributes.  I have a patch to modify
 this behavior in a halfway reasonable manner, although further hacking
is needed (right now, we drop the second column of dev.archlist.txt into
the hardware notes verbatim, but I'd really like to convert these to use
the SGML entities I've defined for this).

Also, as I'm reading through the hardware notes, there's a bunch of
information (particular in the "supported processor and motherboards")
section that could stand revising.  That's probably best taken care of
after this.

Preliminary work is here:

http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/hardware2.tar.gz
http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/hardware2.pdf

Comments greatly appreciated, particularly from those folks who have
worked on the auto-generated device listings.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Bruce.