docs/87351: Jail building instructions don't work as described with default CSH shell

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Wed Oct 26 20:46:43 UTC 2005

On 2005-10-26 13:38, "Eli K. Breen" <bsd at unixforge.net> wrote:
> Call me madcap, but wouldn't it make more sense to have the base case
> example match the default shell, with exceptions for other shells as the
> side-comments?

> Given how little of this script/instructions need to change to suit csh,
> something like...
>
> [...]
> #For csh
> 	set D=/here/is/the/jail
> #For bourne shells (sh,bash,...)
> 	D=/here/is/the/jail
> cd /usr/src
> mkdir -p $D
> [...]
>
> or
>
> [...]
> #For csh
> 	set D=/here/is/the/jail
> #For bourne shells (sh,bash,...)
> #	D=/here/is/the/jail
> cd /usr/src
> mkdir -p $D
> [...]

Nope.  csh(1) is terrible for scripting and only mildly annoying for
interactive use.  I'd accept something that lists *two* sets of commands
that can be copied to a file and minimally changed to alter the $D path,
but intermixing scripts that run in sh(1), csh(1), zsh(1) or anything
else is not very nice imho :/