New website rendering problem

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Thu Oct 6 18:23:50 UTC 2005

Murray Stokely wrote:

> Please visit http://www.FreeBSD.org and let us know what you think.

Rendering problems on FreeBSD 5.4 with linux-mozilla-1.7.8_1
with adobe-times-iso8859-15 minsize 24 on 1600x1200, dpi=112

Window shot: http://people.freebsd.org/~garys/top.jpg

* The "Text size" line slightly overlaps the "power to serve"
line.

* The "button bar" flops over "Based on BSD".

* There should be some way of preventing a line break in the
middle of "Athlon^TM", but I couldn't find an entity for it (I
doubt if   is right).

* The "search" field looks like it was intended to be in the button
bar, but is not, and the "Search" field label is half white-on-white.

* I think "Get FreeBSD Now" sounds cheesy.  Drop the "Now".

* The two uses of "compatible" should have preceding hyphens,
or just omit the words which are not really needed.

* That intro para is tough to read.  Move the parenthetical
phrases into a second sentence, or just omit.

* I wonder if "It is derived from" has a problematical tense, since it
* sounds like it's still being derived.  But "It was derived from"
* sounds like it's a finished work.  Better: "It is a derivative of".

Window shot: http://people.freebsd.org/~garys/bot.jpg

* Text goes outside grey box, not that it matters much.

* The "More" links are not so much "more" as "all".  I'd just
make the four column headers/labels be those links or at least
put them just under the headers as "news", "events", etc, links,
where they are easier to notice and find.

* The "Submit Bug" link is indented in a way that makes it look
like a continuation of the "More" link just above it (one often
sees two links this way that have the same target).  It seems
out of place anyway and is a duplicate of one of the shortcuts
above, so I'd just delete it from the Security column.