New website rendering problem

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 6 02:29:45 UTC 2005

On Wednesday,  5 October 2005 at 21:21:34 -0500, Eric Anderson wrote:
> Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

>>> Funny - it looks perfect for me on my FreeBSD 7 box with Mozilla.
>>
>> You're probably running at a lower resolution.
>
> Maybe - I'm running at 1920x1200 on my 17" LCD.

I'm surprised it renders well at that resolution.  But maybe you've
made your fonts very small.

> What is yours at?

2048x1536.

>>> Maybe you should snap a screen shot and post a link..
>>
>> I did a while back, when this was being discussed.  Anyway, take a
>> look at http://www.lemis.com/grog/Thumbnails-20051006.html, which
>> shows the two pages at 10% size.  Click on the images for 25% size,
>> and click on *those* images for full size.
>
> Oh my goodness - those are horrid.  It looks like your fonts (in
> firefox) set larger -  does it look better after hitting CTRL-- ?

No, because that's the minimum font size, 18 pixels.  On this display
(135 dpi), that's just under 10 pt.  I tried with 16 pixel (9 pt), and
the layout got better (though the security advisories still overflow),
but it's hard to read.

I appreciate that HTML is a terrible tool for getting layouts right,
but I think that in this case it would help to leave a little more
space.  It'll be a while before 300 dpi displays come into general use
(hampered by HTML rendering issues, mainly).

Greg