Chapter 22 Electronic Email

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Jun 7 23:01:25 UTC 2005

Hi--

On Jun 7, 2005, at 6:33 PM, Brad Davis wrote:
> Table of Contents
> 22.1 Synopsis
> 22.2 Using Electronic Mail
> 22.3 Changing Your Mail Transfer Agent
> 22.4 Setting Up to Send Only
> 22.5 Sendmail
>         22.5.1 sendmail Configuration
>         22.5.2 Troubleshooting
>         22.5.3 Advanced Topics
>         22.5.4 SMTP with UUCP
>         22.5.5 Using Mail with a Dialup Connection
>         22.5.6 SMTP Authentication
> 22.6 Mail User Agents
> 22.7 Using fetchmail
> 22.8 Using procmail
>

> so that I could add a new 22.6 called Postfix. and a 22.7 called qmail
> and a 22.8 called Exim and ....

I'd prefer to put the stuff about MUA, fetchmail and such together
just after the 22.2 section on using email.  That way, you could then
append sections on Postfix, qmail, and so forth at the end of the
chapter, not in the middle.

It might also be nice to mention something about configuring Cyrus or
UWash IMAP, a POP daemon, or whatever, too.  Most people at least
know what a mail client is, so starting the discussion with those,
then talking about IMAP or POP daemons as being what your MUA talks
with, and then talking about setting up a MTA as the final piece to
do the SMTP-level stuff, seems to be about as good an organization as
any.

--
-Chuck