OpenOffice 1.0 Output format for DocBook Slides

Murray Stokely murray at freebsdmall.com
Mon Aug 15 19:41:09 UTC 2005

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 08:36:49PM +0100, Ceri Davies wrote:

> On 15 Aug 2005, at 03:25, Murray Stokely wrote:
>
> >I've written a stylesheet to output OpenOffice 1.0 / StarImpress
> >presentations from the contents of a DocBook Slides XML file, such as
> >those in /usr/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/slides.
> >
> >The output is much better than either the HTML or PDF outputs.  An
> >example presentation generated completely from the makefiles and
> >xsltproc is available at http://people.FreeBSD.org/~murray/slides.sxi.
> >
> >This new output format is the fastest to generate, requires the fewest
> >special software programs to be installed (only xsltproc and
> >openoffice), and creates by far the best output.
>
> Hey Murray, does it require openoffice to be installed in order to
> build the document?

No it does not.  It only uses 'zip' and 'xsltproc'.  It builds
OpenOffice documents faster than it can build even the HTML output.
It's very fast.  The HTML output is slower because the chunking can
create dozens of different HTML files, while the OpenOffice output
just creates one content.xml file then zips it up with the
pre-existing template in share.

I'd finally like to turn this on by default so we can link to these
presentations from the website once I import it and get it all
working.

The current doc.slides.mk makefile is not OBJDIR clean and is a bit
simpler and less robust than the other doc makefiles.  I'll have to
make sure it stands up to the full web build before turning it on.

	- Murray