Question regarding 'placeholders' (Translations)

Ceri Davies ceri at submonkey.net
Mon Sep 20 17:48:30 UTC 2004

On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 02:24:53PM +0200, Remko Lodder wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I asked in a reply to Xin Li and Denis Peplin, i want to define
> a correct and global agreement on how we as translation teams
> should use placeholders.
>
> The Dutch Project follows the style of the German Project,
> while the Russian Project does that in another way.
>
> How do the German/Dutch projects handle the placeholders?
>
> Like this:
>
> <sect1>
>   <title>* Translated title</title>
>
>   <para></para>
> </sect1>
>
> How does the Russian Project handle this?
>
> <sect1>
>   <title>Translated title *</title>
>
>   <para></para>
> </sect1>
>
> Can we please decide what works best, and use that globally?

Well, the "correct" way to do this would be to use the releaseinfo
element in the places concerned - I've attached an example diff for the
French handbook (fr for very mundane reasons that I won't concern anyone
with here).

What's wrong with this?  It doesn't currently produce any output to
clearly differentiate the two.  That, however, is a toolchain issue that
could be corrected quite easily.

What's good about this?  Everyone is using the same, correct, way of
marking up non-translated sections/chapters which keeps the sticklers
happy.  Even better, everyone can render it whichever way they damn well
please, which keeps the anarchists from upsetting all of the "normals".

Obviously, I'm not on a translation team (the only other language I
speak well is "foul"), but these are the provisions that DocBook has
made for this situation.  Anything else will make transitioning to
anything else a major PITA if/when it ever becomes necessary.

Ceri
--
It is not tinfoil, it is my new skin.  I am a robot.