[Please review] Structure of the Handbook's Simplified Chinese translation

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at freebsd.org
Fri Sep 17 16:41:07 UTC 2004

On 2004-09-17 23:05, Xin LI <delphij at frontfree.net> wrote:
> Here is the Simplified Chinese translation source (SGML, etc) files for
> review. [...]
> And an extracted version:
>
> 	http://people.freebsd.org/~delphij/doc/

See below...

> Should I remove the English text before committing them, or
> it's just ok to keep them as-is?

If you are referring to large chunks of English text that are left
intact then yes, remove it before committing.  Leaving the original text
unchanged only to completely replace it a few weeks later is going to be
a waste of disk space at the repository servers (and the CVSup mirrors,
and the bandwidth used by those who use the mirrors, and the disk space
of local copies of the CVS tree, etc).

This will probably create a bit more work for you though, especially if
the removed parts require "placeholders" to be put in the place of the
original English text and filled later on.  Fear not.  I can help you
with that, if you need any sort of assistance.

1. Wrapping the source of SGML documents.

Some of the SGML sources are not wrapped at all and have very long
lines.  I'm not sure if wrapping is at all possible in the encoding you
use.  I'm afraid my knowledge of Chinese is entirely non-existent.

If wrapping is possible though, it would be nice to have.  If not for
any other reason to avoid having to scroll horizontally to the end of a
HUGE line when viewing the CVS tree over the web (cvsweb.freebsd.org).

2. Commented out material in the Makefiles.

In some of the Makefiles you can trim the commented out stuff without
causing problems to the build.  For example here:

        http://people.freebsd.org/~delphij/doc/zh_CN.GB2312/books/Makefile

The Makefile reads:

    # Original Revision: 1.12
    # $FreeBSD: doc/zh_CN.GB2312/books/Makefile,v 1.1.1000.2 2004/08/07 04:33:46 delphij Exp $

    #SUBDIR = arch-handbook
    #SUBDIR+= corp-net-guide
    #SUBDIR+= design-44bsd
    #SUBDIR+= developers-handbook
    #SUBDIR+= faq
    #SUBDIR+= fdp-primer
    SUBDIR = handbook
    #SUBDIR+= porters-handbook

    ROOT_SYMLINKS= handbook #faq

    DOC_PREFIX?= ${.CURDIR}/../..
    .include "${DOC_PREFIX}/share/mk/doc.project.mk"

Since the commented out stuff is not going to be used until much later
on, when they relevant books have been translated, you should probably
write this as:

    # Original Revision: 1.12
    # $FreeBSD$

    SUBDIR = handbook

    ROOT_SYMLINKS= handbook

    DOC_PREFIX?= ${.CURDIR}/../..
    .include "${DOC_PREFIX}/share/mk/doc.project.mk"

Similar changes can be done to most of the rest of the Makefiles in the
extracted copy that I can see online now.

> Thanks in advance!

Great job!  Keep up the good work :)))

Regards,
Giorgos