2.12 Advanced Installation Guide (Headless Install)

Ceri Davies ceri at submonkey.net
Tue Sep 14 18:11:48 UTC 2004

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 01:57:58PM -0400, Aaron Gibson wrote:
> Ceri-
>
> I did have to do one other step.  Placing the /boot/loader -h line in the
> boot.config file on the floppy did direct output to the serial console, but
> I had to manually modify the /etc/ttys file to enable login from the serial
> console.  I couldn't find a way to do this during the install or post
> install configuration of the box.  So, I did have to reboot with a screen
> and keyboard to make the modification of the /etc/ttys file.

Thanks again Aaron.

You should be able to edit /etc/ttys via the Syscons menu in sysinstall
(on i386, alpha and amd64 anyway) according to the code, although it
would perhaps be nice if sysinstall did this for you if you had booted
headless.  I haven't checked but I assume that this is missing from the
instructions in the handbook; if that's the case then I'll update that
too.

Ceri
--
It is not tinfoil, it is my new skin.  I am a robot.