Creating an Admin Handbook

Murray Stokely murray at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 20 10:34:04 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 09:27:57PM +0400, Denis Peplin wrote:
> Currently we have one small problem with links between books -
> relative and absolute links. For example, in printed version of
> Handbook I see something like: ../faq/some_url.html
>
> Some work was recently done by hrs to solve this issue (Thanks again,
> Hiroki!), but this work is not completely done.
>
> Probably it will be better to solve this issue before handbook
> splitting rather than after.

It's true that this work needs to be done, but I don't see why it
needs to hold up the handbook split any more than any of the other
countless issues on our todo lists.  Splitting the handbook won't make
it any harder, because I'm going to use an entity to refer to the
other book anyway, so we can just update that entity with the
preferred absolute/relative link fix as appropriate.

In our Perforce repository we've turned all of these relative links
into absolute ones.  I never merged it to CVS because I was waiting
for someone to do something like what Hiroki has done.  I can help you
and him finish up this great work after the Handbook split.

> +<!ENTITY url.articles "&url.base;/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles">
> +<!ENTITY url.books "&url.base;/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books">

Cool.

	- Murray