Suggested rewrite of "FreeBSD Documentation Project: SGML"

Leonard Zettel zettel at acm.org
Mon Jul 19 23:55:31 UTC 2004

On Friday 16 July 2004 08:02 am, Leonard Zettel wrote:
> On Friday 16 July 2004 04:37 am, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 11:10:12PM -0400, Leonard Zettel wrote:
> > > http://www.lenzettel.com/freebsd/sgml.html
> > >
> > > Questions, comments, criticisms?
> >
> > I like it at a first read, but it is somewhat difficult to see exactly
> > what changes you have made (the ones in the first couple of sentences
> > are obvious).  Could you try to check out the FreeBSD Web site sources
> > from the CVS repository, edit the www/en/docproj/sgml.sgml file to
> > include your changes, and then send us a patch (or at least your version
> > of the sgml.sgml file) so we can comment on the changes themselves? :)
> >
> > Thanks for your efforts so far!
>
> Thank you for your kind words!  As an absolute newbie to FreeBSD,
> it has been a real struggle trying to wade through the procedural
> thicket to get a modified sgml file.  But I'm working on it!

I have downloaded and installed textproc/docproj.
I have also gotten a local copy of the documentation tree.
Unfortunately, when I do

nsgmls -s book.sgml

I get a ton of error messages, the first couple of which are:

nsgmls:/usr/local/share/sgml/docbook/4.1/dbcent.mod:54:0:E:
cannot open "/usr/local/share/sgml/docbook/4.1/iso-amsa.gml"
(No such file or directory)
nsgmls:/usr/local/share/sgml/docbook/4.1/dbcent.mod:61:0:E:
cannot open "/usr/local/share/sgml/docbook/4.1/iso-amsb.gml"
(No such file or directory)
etc.

My surmise is that there are a bunch of necessary files that
1) I don't have or
2) don't have in the expected place.

Pointers to remedies would be greatly appreciated.
   -LenZ-