docs/75068: login.conf(5) manual page says nothing about a hashed form of the login capabilities database and its use

Rostislav Krasny rosti_bsd at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 14 20:20:47 UTC 2004

>Number:         75068
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       login.conf(5) manual page says nothing about a hashed form of the login capabilities database and its use
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
login.conf(5) manual page says nothing about a hashed form of the login capabilities database and its use. One might not get to know from the manual that if his system have an /etc/login.conf.db file then he must run 'cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf' after each change of /etc/login.conf because login.conf.db have a higher preference over login.conf; and if there is only /etc/login.conf then hi shouldn't run that command.
>How-To-Repeat:
man 5 login.conf
>Fix:
FreeBSD 4.8 Errata have following text:

FreeBSD supports a hashed form of the login capabilities database, stored in /etc/login.conf.db. This is generated from the /etc/login.conf text file. If the hashed database is present, login(1) will use it in preference to the contents of the text file. FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE is the first release that actually includes /etc/login.conf.db on the distribution media; thus, users modifying /etc/login.conf need to remember to regenerate the database, using cap_mkdb(1). Users performing source upgrades are generally not affected by this change, because mergemaster(8) offers the option to regenerate /etc/login.conf.db during upgrades. login.conf(5) has more details on the format and usage of the login capabilities database.

I think something like that should be added to the login.conf(5) manual page and '/etc/login.conf.db' to the manual's synopsis.