Doc BoF at EuroBSDCon

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Thu Dec 2 21:02:47 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 21:34:42 +0100
"Simon L. Nielsen" <simon at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 2004.11.29 06:03:20 +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 09:26:57PM +0100, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
> > > - Changing doc from SGML to XML (yes, really do it this time)

[SNIP]

> > > - To be as little disruptive as possible to normal doc work it was
> > >   suggested to branch the doc/ tree for the work, and do the work in a
> > >   separate branch, to be merged into the main branch later again.
> >
> > Rather than branch it in CVS I'd say use Perforce for this work.
>
> We actually also talked about that, and personally I do agree perforce
> would be a good tool for work like this.  I even think Tom Rhodes has
> given in and tried it now... :-)

Yes, I've finally started using perforce ... It's all the fault
of John, Robert and Wayne (Audit3 stuff).  So we can do that.

> > > - Handling multiple FreeBSD release branches (4.X/5.X/6.X) in Handbook
> > >   to get rid of notes about "For 4.X do....".  There should be
> > >   multiple build Handbook versions on website, and perhaps one
> > >   complete one with "This section is for 4.X only..." and so on
> > >   automatically added.
> > >
> > >   - It was suggested to handle this with (SG|X)ML attributes on like
> > >     done in the release documentation for different architectures.
> > >     simon was volunteered to implement this.
> >
> > The DocBook XSL stylesheets call this 'profiling'.  See
> >
> >     http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/doc/html/rn19.html
> >
> > for more details.
>
> Very interesting, I didn't know about that.  Thanks!

I'll read up on it too.

> > All the changes discussed so far will also require updates to the
> > Primer.  Who volunteered to keep that up to date?
>
> I don't think these changes will require major rewrite of the Primer,
> but of course the Primer need to be updated accordingly.

The primer is already very out of date.  Once I offered to update
it but that was too great a task and no one from doceng@ seemed
as if they wanted to explicity point out the policy on issues.

--
Tom Rhodes