Tracking down devices in the Hardware Notes

Bruce A. Mah bmah at freebsd.org
Tue Aug 24 21:42:33 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 14:11, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:

> While working on the Harware Notes I have found two device entries
> where I can't really determine which driver is supposed to support
> them.
>
> Both were in version 1.1 of common/dev.sgml and not in the old
> HARDWARE.TXT.  I also tried grepping in the source tree, but that
> hasn't helped in finding in the guilty drivers...  The devices are:
>
> Seagate ST01/02 SCSI controllers
> Future Domain 8xx/950 series SCSI controllers

I just popped in disc1 from 4.1-RELEASE/i386 (the oldest CD-ROM set in
front of me right now [1]) and both of these devices are mentioned in
RELNOTES.TXT as being "not supported by the new CAM subsystem".  This
was a time when the release notes listed supported hardware, partially
(but not completely) duplicating HARDWARE.TXT.

I'm not sure what the state of these devices are now, or what drivers
they were mapped to.  But that gives you a pretty good idea how old they
are.  If no one speaks up after a suitable amount of time, I'd say just
nuke 'em.  :-)

Bruce.

[1]  It still had the shrink wrap on it until ten minutes ago.  I hope
this wasn't like cutting the tag off a Beanie Baby.