The daemon is not a religious symbol, but...

Marc Fonvieille blackend at FreeBSD.org
Sun Aug 22 21:21:42 UTC 2004

On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 07:07:54PM +0000, Murray Stokely wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 08:25:40PM +0200, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
> > Maybe if someone could clean, rewrite in better english my words above,
> > it'd be a start of "explaination."
>
> It wouldn't be a start; we've been trying to explain this in our
> website and documentation for years.  This quote is on our website:
>
>   "Many people equate the word ``daemon'' with the word ``demon,''
>    implying some kind of Satanic connection between UNIX and the
>    underworld. This is an egregious misunderstanding. ``Daemon'' is
>    actually a much older form of ``demon''; daemons have no particular
>    bias towards good or evil, but rather serve to help define a
>    person's character or personality. The ancient Greeks' concept of a
>    ``personal daemon'' was similar to the modern concept of a
>    ``guardian angel'' --- ``eudaemonia'' is the state of being helped
>    or protected by a kindly spirit. As a rule, UNIX systems seem to be
>    infested with both daemons and demons."

It's perfect.

> There will always be new users who install FreeBSD, see beastie in the
> new boot loader, and mail us to complain before ever looking through
> the website or FAQ to read our explanations.

If these users really think before... they would realize that an
operating system can't be evil, the only evil part is the user :))

> > But I don't think we should document that... it's my opinion...
> > If people are not able to do the difference between a logo/drawing
> > without any religious signification and religion, it's their problem.
>
> It's our problem if they keep nagging us. =) I like the way OpenBSD
> just went in the direction of a new mascot with less negative
> conotations and a cooler more modern design to boot.  It's a lot
> easier to do that sort of thing when you split off from another
> project though.

I like the fish or the cat.  I disliked the policeman :)

But to talk about our mascot, beastie comes from Unix roots (daemon
processes), we know the real origin as stated in the text you quoted.
I don't see why we should change the mascot just for some people not
able (or who don't want) to understand things.

Look at http://www.freebsd.org/art.html it's difficult to see anything
really scary or threatening.

Marc