user-opinion poll?! [was: Would this be useful?]

Erich Dollansky oceanare at pacific.net.sg
Wed Apr 21 14:44:42 UTC 2004

Hi,

Roman Neuhauser wrote:

>>Imagine you are a Windows user and want to try FreeBSD. All you get is
>>that handbook. It just looks greek to them.
>>
>>This is the point where their route to FreeBSD ends.
>
>     Every (other) piece of technical documentation I've seen assumed
>     some prior knowledge, and brains, in the reader. Of course, the
>     level is a matter of discussion, and Matt Dillon is probably not
>     the best target audience of a hypothetical "How NFS works" Handbook
>     chapter, but don't aim the documentation at "dummies".

The current FreeBSD needs an IT professional or at least a person who is
very much interested in IT with a certain level of knowledge.

The dummies are the other end. But there are a lot of people who could
operate and would like to operate FreeBSD but they are just not able to
overcome the problem of installing it.

They do not need all the things a server needs. They just need the
things to get their very own PC up and running with the help of a
handbook they understand.

The number of FreeBSD users will raise if more people are able to
install it without the need of professional know-how.

Erich