docs/58318: missing modifier in crontab(5) manpage (changes meaning...)

Ceri Davies ceri at FreeBSD.org
Tue Oct 21 21:00:35 UTC 2003

The following reply was made to PR docs/58318; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ceri Davies <ceri at FreeBSD.org>
To: Kevin Kinsey <kdk at daleco.biz>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: docs/58318: missing modifier in crontab(5) manpage (changes meaning...)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:57:53 +0100

 On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 12:33:52AM -0500, Kevin Kinsey wrote:

 > 	Examination of context clearly shows that the word "Not" should appear
 > 	in the statement "Lists and ranges are allowed to co-exist in the
 > 	same field...."
 > >How-To-Repeat:
 > 	$man 5 crontab
 > 	# read the "Extensions" paragraph(s)

 I think you'll find that they *are* allowed (that is the nature of the extension).
 Read the paragraph again, bearing in mind that you are reading about Vixie cron:

      Lists and ranges are allowed to co-exist in the same field.  "1-3,7-9"
      would be rejected by ATT or BSD cron -- they want to see "1-3" or "7,8,9"
      ONLY.

 i.e. this cron does allow it.

 Ceri