docs/50349: make release fails with NO_OPENSSH and ! NOKERBEROS

Mark Murray mark at grondar.org
Sat Oct 4 19:35:25 UTC 2003

Ruslan Ermilov writes:
> It can be done, by teaching release/Makefile to build world with NOCRYPT
> and a lot of other hacking that will obfuscate it, but I just don't see
> much point doing this -- it seems much easier to me to remove the crypto
> distribution from the release media.

Yeah. This is about right. There have been may years' worth of
crypto-insanity in FreeBSD, and we are trying to remove it, not
entrench it.

The crypto stuff in nicely separated out, and I wouldn't mind seeing
further separation (dev tools, LPR, sendmail, etc) done as separately
installable components, similar to the crypto install.

release/* is already a horrendous hack, and to make it take into
account build options would make it _horrible_.

> Mark, what do you think?

I think we need to aim for further simplification :-) If you don't
like crypto, 'rm -rf' is your friend.

Mark Murray
iumop ap!sdn w,I idlaH