Confusion in the ppp chapter.

Ceri Davies ceri at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jun 2 22:54:04 UTC 2003

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 03:48:31PM -0400, Tom Rhodes wrote:
> Gang,
>
> Permit me to quote the user-ppp section real quick here:

> 18.2.1.2.3 Receiving Incoming Calls
>
> When you configure ppp to receive incoming calls on a machine connected to a
> LAN, you must decide if you wish to forward packets to the LAN. If you do,
> you should allocate the peer an IP number from your LAN's subnet, and use the
> command enable proxy in your /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file. You should also confirm
> that the /etc/rc.conf file contains the following:
>
> gateway_enable="YES"
>
> Now, when I think of 'Receiving Incoming Calls,' I think of software which
> informs me of when I get a call while I'm connected through PPP.  However,
> here it sounds like they are discussing whether or not you want 'packets'
> forwarded to the LAN.

Tom,

It's not what you were thinking.

It's referring to ppp's ability to answer incoming calls for a login session
(i.e., if I want to dial into a machine to fix it).  The question is just
referring to the case where you may also want to allow someone connected this
way to access other machines on the LAN (as opposed to only the machine that
they have dialled in to).

Hope that makes sense now.

Ceri

--
User: DO YOU ACCEPT JESUS CHRIST AS YOUR PERSONAL LORD AND SAVIOR?
Iniaes: Sure, I can accept all forms of payment.