Confusion in the ppp chapter.

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jun 2 20:06:17 UTC 2003

Gang,

Permit me to quote the user-ppp section real quick here:

18.2.1.2.3 Receiving Incoming Calls

When you configure ppp to receive incoming calls on a machine connected to a
LAN, you must decide if you wish to forward packets to the LAN. If you do,
you should allocate the peer an IP number from your LAN's subnet, and use the
command enable proxy in your /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file. You should also confirm
that the /etc/rc.conf file contains the following:

gateway_enable="YES"

Now, when I think of 'Receiving Incoming Calls,' I think of software which
informs me of when I get a call while I'm connected through PPP.  However,
here it sounds like they are discussing whether or not you want 'packets'
forwarded to the LAN.  My rewording of this would be something like:

18.2.1.2.3 PPP to LAN Connections

When you configure ppp to receive incoming calls on a machine connected to a
LAN, you have the option of forwarding packets to the network. If you do,
you should allocate the peer an IP number from your LAN's subnet, and use the
enable proxy command in your /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file. You should also confirm
that the /etc/rc.conf file contains the following:

gateway_enable="YES"

Any suggestions for me?

--
Tom Rhodes