docs/54806: [patch] adds fvwm2 to x11-wm

Josef El-Rayes j.el-rayes at daemon.li
Thu Jul 24 19:50:22 UTC 2003

The following reply was made to PR docs/54806; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Josef El-Rayes <j.el-rayes at daemon.li>
To: Marc Fonvieille <blackend at FreeBSD.org>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: docs/54806: [patch] adds fvwm2 to x11-wm
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 21:45:05 +0200

 Marc Fonvieille <blackend at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
 > This section focus mainly on "desktops environments", but why not
 > talking about some window managers.  So why FVWM 2 and not TWM,
 > AfterStep, Window Maker, IceWM, fluxbox etc. ?
 When i looked at this section i had the feeling that there was not
 enough. It perfectly talks about Gnome and KDE, the big two players,
 but i think it is important, to at least mention the alternatives.
 The reason why i decided to talk about fvwm2 is that it comes very
 near to a desktop environment.
 It has a panel, it manages sessions and multiple desktops.
 And i thought adding fvwm is like saying "hey unix world is
 more than gnome & kde".
 ok there is XFce but it is more a gnome without
 gnome-libs - like galeon is mozilla without xul (roughly defined).

 the next reason was, that greg lehey also mentioned fvwm2 as a kde
 alternative in his book, so i thought, ok this is what gurus think :)

 > Why not adding a link to the http://www.plig.org/xwinman/ page (this
 > page is guide to all window managers.) and then pointing the reader to
 > our ports/x11-wm directory?

 my patch is intended to be a "food for thought" - i am not happy with
 the current version of this chapter. i think my patch is one way to
 handle this, -> to add the most popular window managers, fvwm2, blackbox
 (with a mentioning of its offsprings), enlightenment and so on. what
 about linking some screenshots (this is what quite some people requested
 at our freebsd booth at linuxtag - "how does it actually look like").

 another way good way is your [marc's] proposal to shorten this up and
 link to a patch that covers this topic and just linking it with a short
 description.
 i think i do not have enough experience on writing for the handbook to
 know what fits better into the handbook's style.

 in my opinion best solution is a compromise between this to solutions.
 to give a short overview of the windowmanagers available in ports, with
 their most important characteristics and linking some screenshots and
 giving the link to the above mentioned url for further reference.

 so to give a short answer, i added fvwm as a start to see, whether it is
 appreciated to add other windowmanagers to this section or not.

 greets, josef
 --
 www: http://www.daemon.li
 nic-hdl: JER1080312-NICAT