docs/54009: Clarify the location of the splash image in the splash man page

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jul 3 16:40:10 UTC 2003

The following reply was made to PR docs/54009; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tom Rhodes <trhodes at FreeBSD.org>
To: Michael Smith <msmith at FreeBSD.org>
Cc: siegbert.baude at gmx.de, freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: docs/54009: Clarify the location of the splash image in the
 splash man page
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 12:10:18 -0400

 From the loader.conf(5) manual page:

 bitmap_load
                      (``NO'') If set to ``YES'', a bitmap will be loaded to be
                      displayed on screen while booting.

 bitmap_name
                      (``/boot/splash.bmp'') Name of the bitmap to be loaded.
                      Any other name can be used.

 I think that is quite explicit on using splash images.  If we read down
 a little further, we come across:

 FILES
      /boot/defaults/loader.conf  default settings -- do not change this file.
      /boot/loader.4th            defines the commands used by loader to read
                                  and process loader.conf.
      /boot/loader.conf           user defined settings.
      /boot/loader.conf.local     machine-specific settings for sites with a
                                  common loader.conf.
      /boot/loader.rc             contains the instructions to automatically
                                  process loader.conf.

 The one I'm interested in is /boot/loader.conf which is described as 'user defined
 settings.', which I think is self explainatory.  Now, loader.conf works similar
 to rc.conf and a few other files in FreeBSD where the user defined settings
 should exist in another file which overrides the default.  My personal feeling
 here is that the proper method would be to:

 Create the /boot/loader.conf file if it does not exist.  Put in the custom
 splash information with what is defined above.  That is how I did it on my
 system.  Now, if you do not define a splash image, then yes I'm sure it
 would look in the module path (without looking at the code nor any other
 manual page/documentation besides loader.conf(5)).  Try my suggestion
 above and let me know if that fixes your problem.  Thanks.

 --
 Tom Rhodes