docs/54009: Clarify the location of the splash image in the splash man page

Siegbert Baude siegbert.baude at gmx.de
Thu Jul 3 16:20:19 UTC 2003

The following reply was made to PR docs/54009; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude at gmx.de>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org, msmith at FreeBSD.org
Cc: trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: docs/54009: Clarify the location of the splash image in the splash man page
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 18:16:32 +0200

 Tom, but you have an absolute path to the image in your loader.conf, right?

 I checked the docu now once again, and every piece of it including the splash
 mini-FAQ says, the splash image should go into /boot. I found the solution in
 /boot/defaults/loader.conf, where it is said that the image must be located
 somewhere in the module_path. The default for this however is
 "/boot/kernel;/boot/modules/" so a splash image in /boot isn't found.

 I think there are two solutions:

 1) Add /boot to the module_path in /boot/defaults/loader.conf like
 "/boot/kernel;/boot/modules/;/boot"

 2) Remove all examples of images in the documentation, which use relative
 paths and substitute the absolute paths.

 Mike, do you think there might be some problems with solution #1? It would be
 easier to correct, but maybe #2 is the cleaner way. I would create the diffs
 for the man pages and conf-files, so you only had to commit them.

 Ciao
 Siegbert