about translating FDP into vietnamese

Nik Clayton nik at freebsd.org
Tue Dec 9 23:16:25 UTC 2003

Hi,

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 06:35:11PM +0300, Nguyen Tam Chinh wrote:
> Good evening Nik Clayton,
> I found your e-mail on fdp-primer as the chief of FDP translation team. So
> i write you to get more infomation about:
> 1. I'd like to translate some of the fdp documents into vietnamese, at
> fisrt the FreeBSD Handbook. But looking at the team list on
> www.freebsd.org, there's no vietnamese team there. So i must register a
> new team?

Pretty much.  The best thing to do is to send a message to the
doc at freebsd.org mailing list, in case someone else is already working on
a translation (but hasn't announced anything yet).

> 2. About encoding: utf-8 is the standart encoding for vietnamese language,
> so i think that i should use this to the vietnamese version of the
> Handbook and other docs. Is this okay?

That should be fine.

> 3. Do i need to setup a cvsd machine to use for the translation team?

That depends on how many people you have working on the translation, and
how everybody works.

It's certainly not a pre-requisite, but you may find it helps.

FreeBSD: The Power to Serve      http://www.freebsd.org/               (__)
FreeBSD Documentation Project    http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/    \\\'',)
                                                                      \/  \ ^
   --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---         .\._/_)