RFC: Restructure of the front page

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Mon Dec 1 19:38:13 UTC 2003

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 20:30:02 +0100
Josef El-Rayes <j.el-rayes at daemon.li> wrote:

> Tom Rhodes <trhodes at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> > Grettings,
> >
> > Thanks to Mark Linimon who provided a starting point for this, I've
> > produced a patch for the front page.  This patch just makes a few
> > simple 'structure' changes to hopefully allow users to find their
> > information faster.
>
> i had a look at your work, and it looks very nice, right step
> in right direction. i was wondering why you did not
> include amd64 in your "platform support" list.
> i think this one wil be become very important in near future
> (it became tier1 lately).

Yes, Ceri has already pointed this out to me.  I'll be making a
change to my patch after this email.

> i was wondering why you removed the events link from
> the frontpage, is there a certain reason?

Because that information, in my opinion, is redundant.  Everything
in that area can be found on the right side under the 4.9 links.

Believe it or not, we really don't have a need for 8 News/Press
links on the front page.  :)

> i am also not sure where we shouldn't restructure
> the "support" part. on the one hand side,
> we list possibilities how to get in touch
> with freebsd users (mailing lists, user groups, news groups),
> then there is a link to 3rd party documentation (web ressources)
> and then there is the link to security.

Now we are getting a little ahead of ourselves.  This project, due
to the variety of opinions and comments, should be a piece by piece
change.  The support area will be at the tip of my spear in the
patch or so.  Your opinons on these are very welcome.

> first the security link is absolete, as there is already
> a link to this page at the and of the security advisories listing
> on the right hand side of the page.

Exactly!  :)

> i would move the web resources link up to the documentation part of the navigation bar
> but this is just a matter of taste i think.

Actually, I have some plans for the documentation/support area.
Keep watching the discussion my friend.

> what about the vendors section? do we really need these 4 direct links?
> i would move make one link for vendors,
> and put it under software (i.e. the ones who sell freebsd
> cds/dvds). and then i would move the consultors under the
> support section.

This I have yet to look over, and as such must wait until the
first round of changes are passed.  :)

> greets, josef
>
> ps: hm, i am wondering whether i should express my
> views in a page, as it is a bit confusing (for me too)
> to put this in words instead seeing what i am thinking of.

I hear that!

--
Tom Rhodes