bsd.kmod.mk and manual pages.

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Tue Aug 26 16:02:04 UTC 2003

On 2003.08.26 17:54:17 +0200, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 10:56:21AM -0400, Tom Rhodes wrote:
> +> Usually driver manual pages are added to section four, and then
> +> they are built with the Makefile from that location.
> +>
> +> Or did I misinterpret your question?
>
> I want to create Makefile for kernel module:
>
> ---[ Makefile start ]---
> KMOD=	foo
> SRCS=	foo.c
> MAN=	foo.4
>
> .include <bsd.kmod.mk>
> ---[ Makefile end ]---
>
> As you can see, manual page is in the same directory, but bsd.kmod.mk
> ignores 'MAN' variable, so manual page isn't gziped on 'make' nor
> installed on 'make install'.
>
> For example bsd.prog.mk know how to handle 'MAN' variable.
>
> So my question is: Is there some clean way to prepare Makefile which will
> handle module with manual page?

I actually don't think so.  From a quick check it does not appear that
bsd.kmod.mk includes bsd.man.mk (which handles all the manual page
related things).

Normally in FreeBSD all the kernel manual pages are located under
src/share/man/man?/ .  I assume the reason you want to include the
manual page with the module, is because it's a 3rd party module which
are not being distriubted as part of FreeBSD?

You might want to ask on -hackers, since this is more of a buildsystem
problem, than documentation problem (and I don't think most of the
buildsystem guys are on -doc).

--
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team