Porter's Handbook Mistake?

Mario Freitas sub_0 at netcabo.pt
Sat Aug 23 14:08:07 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-08-23 at 11:10, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
> On 2003.08.23 03:08:53 +0100, Mário Freitas wrote:
> > I folks,
> > While I was reading the porter's handbook (once more) I think
> > I've found a mistake at Chapter 12, part 3:
> >
> > "This script will be run twice by pkg_delete(1). The first time as ${SH}
> > pkg-install ${PKGNAME} DEINSTALL and the second time as ${SH}
> > pkg-install ${PKGNAME} POST-DEINSTALL."
> >

> > Shouldn't it be:
> > "This script will be run twice by pkg_delete(1). The first time as ${SH}
> > pkg-deinstall ${PKGNAME} PRE-DEINSTALL and the second time as ${SH}
> > pkg-deinstall ${PKGNAME} POST-DEINSTALL." ?
>
> I don't think so.. From pkg_delete(1):

>      distribution.  The deinstall script is called as:
>            script <pkg-name> DEINSTALL
>      where pkg-name is the name of the package in question and DEINSTALL is a
>      keyword denoting this as the pre-deinstallation phase.
>      The post-deinstall script is called as:
>            script <pkg-name> POST-DEINSTALL
>      where pkg-name is the name of the package in question and POST-DEINSTALL
>      is a keyword denoting this as the post-deinstallation phase.
>
> and a quick check of the pkg_delete source code seems to confirm this.

Yes you're right, wouldn't be better , "pkg-deinstall" (PRE-DEINSTALL
and POST-DEINSTALL) just for a better standardization? Or is there any
better reason, behind all this, not
to do "pkg-deinstall"(including both "targets") the default script
filename?

Thanks in advance.

--
Mário Freitas (sub_0 at netcabo.pt)