Porter's Handbook Mistake?

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Sat Aug 23 10:10:56 UTC 2003

On 2003.08.23 03:08:53 +0100, Mário Freitas wrote:
> I folks,
> While I was reading the porter's handbook (once more) I think
> I've found a mistake at Chapter 12, part 3:
>
> "This script will be run twice by pkg_delete(1). The first time as ${SH}
> pkg-install ${PKGNAME} DEINSTALL and the second time as ${SH}
> pkg-install ${PKGNAME} POST-DEINSTALL."
>

> Shouldn't it be:
> "This script will be run twice by pkg_delete(1). The first time as ${SH}
> pkg-deinstall ${PKGNAME} PRE-DEINSTALL and the second time as ${SH}
> pkg-deinstall ${PKGNAME} POST-DEINSTALL." ?

I don't think so.. From pkg_delete(1):

     distribution.  The deinstall script is called as:
           script <pkg-name> DEINSTALL
     where pkg-name is the name of the package in question and DEINSTALL is a
     keyword denoting this as the pre-deinstallation phase.
     The post-deinstall script is called as:
           script <pkg-name> POST-DEINSTALL
     where pkg-name is the name of the package in question and POST-DEINSTALL
     is a keyword denoting this as the post-deinstallation phase.

and a quick check of the pkg_delete source code seems to confirm this.

--
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team