docs/35011: There are no commands called "diskless" or "jail"

Simon L. Nielsen simon at nitro.dk
Wed Apr 30 23:40:17 UTC 2003

The following reply was made to PR docs/35011; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon at nitro.dk>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org, kstailey at surfbest.net
Subject: Re: docs/35011: There are no commands called "diskless" or "jail"
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 01:35:24 +0200

 --dzI2QqkSBOAresgT

 Hello

 To summerize this bug :

 Several man pages from section 8 really should be moved to section 7
 since section 7 should be for "system maintenance and operation
 commands".

 The ones I can find are (basically most of share/man/man8/) :

 adding_user
 crash
 diskless
 picobsd (this is strictly a command but hardly has anything to do with
 	"system maintenance and operation commands").
 sticky
 yp

 For the complete picture NetBSD appears to have modified their definition
 of what should be in section 8 to accomodate man pages like diskless(8) :

      A number of pages in this section describe general system management t=
 op-
      ics. For example, the diskless(8) page describes how to boot a system
      over a network, and the compat_linux(8) page describes how to run Linux
      binaries on NetBSD architectures that support it.

 OpenBSD still have diskless in section 8 but does not have generally noted
 this in intro(8) but do have :

      The section `crash' should be consulted to understand how to interpret
      system crash dumps.

 If the pages should be moved I can make the patch to update the relevant
 references from man pages / docbook documents and so on.

 My 0.02c is that this would be a good thing for consistency.

 --=20
 Simon L. Nielsen

 --dzI2QqkSBOAresgT

 --dzI2QqkSBOAresgT--