should bsdinstall work?

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Tue May 4 20:35:18 UTC 2021

Yes, it should work just fine; however, we don't provision the microsd
images for the installer, especially for -CURRENT. The actual OS is
fetched in plaintext to allow caching and the MANIFEST files are what
provides authentication -- they provide the checksums of the files that
get fetched so that they can be verified against corruption and
tampering. For snapshots, the current version changes all the time and
that doesn't work; it also means that network-install media have to be
set up with those checksums in advance. Where are you trying to install
to? Usually the assumption is that the microsd images *are* the
installed system rather than a tool you use to install a system.
-Nathan