HEADS-UP: IFLIB implementations of sys/dev/e1000 em, lem, igb pending

Sean Bruno sbruno at freebsd.org
Fri Jan 6 15:34:46 UTC 2017

On 01/06/17 03:48, Steven Hartland wrote:
> Hmm I'm not sure about everyone else but I we treat emX as legacy
> devices (not used one in years) but igbX is very common here.
>
> The impact of changing a nic device name is quite a bit more involved
> than just rc.conf it effects other areas too, jails etc so given we can
> loose access to the machine on reboot if everything isn't done right, it
> would be worth considering:
>
>  * Change emX -> igbX to lower the impact.
>  * Add shims / alias so that operations on the device name going away
>    still work.
>
> What do people think?

We have a "legacy" code implementation that does exactly what you're
describing and we intend on putting that version into 11-stable so that
existing users won't bang their heads against it.

The amount of code in the tree dropped *significantly* when we dropped
this implementation, hence why we wanted to make 12-current a clean break.

sean

bcc matt