r298143: something wrong with autofs?

Edward Tomasz Napiera?a trasz at FreeBSD.org
Fri May 6 17:15:41 UTC 2016

On 0506T1408, O. Hartmann wrote:
> Am Wed, 4 May 2016 20:41:51 +0200
> Edward Tomasz Napiera?a <trasz at FreeBSD.org> schrieb:
>
> > On 0503T1849, O. Hartmann wrote:

> > > ... means: the cleint does not mount/bind the NFS exported filesystem anymore.
> >
> > Ok.

> > > Well, I see nothing! That is my problem. I setup several NFSv4 exported filesystems
> > > which were mounted on demand via autofs - that workd. Since I do not use/need those
> > > filesystems on a dailt basis, I realized too late that in the meanwhile those
> > > filesystems are not present on the client (autofs) anymore. I'm not aware of having
> > > changed anything in the configuration and I didn't receive any heads-ups that
> > > essential changes had been made.
> >
> > Hm, it certainly seems weird.  Are the autofs instances mounted where
> > there should be?  Could you send me your /etc/auto_master, the maps,
> > and dmesg output?  Thanks!
>
> Hello Edward,
>
> sorry for the late answer. I can not (I'm not allowed!) offer config data from any of the
> lab's/bureaus computers, so I decided to check again the whole config, since several
> boxes do as expected and others not (which is the weird part). I found a simple culprit:
> somewhere in the near past, /etc/auto_master received an update and I simply have
> overwritten the old one with the new one. So the autofs system never checked the exported
> filessystem's list given by a mandatory /etc/auto_ext file and in the logical consequence,
> no filesystem defined there was mounted.
>
> After simply adding the missing line the mounting of the expected filesystems worked
> again.

Huh, that explains.  IIRC some time (few weeks?) ago there was a problem
in 11-CURRENT that made "make installworld" overwrite some of the config
files, as if there were binaries.  Looks like you got bitten by this.

Let me know if you find anything else with autofs that looks suspicious.
Thanks :-)