mount_smbfs(8): support for SMBv3.02?

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Tue Mar 8 13:19:31 UTC 2016

O. Hartmann wrote on 03/08/2016 13:53:
> On Tue, 8 Mar 2016 10:55:25 +0100
> Edward Tomasz Napierała <trasz at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
>> On 0303T1047, O. Hartmann wrote:
>>> Does FreeBSD's mount_smbfs(8) support for Microsoft's SMBv3 protocol
>>> introduced with Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012/R2?
>>
>> No, it only supports the obsolete SMB1 (aka CIFS) protocol.  Since SMB2
>> is a completely different protocol, supporting it properly pretty much
>> requires implementing it from scratch.  SMB3 is one of the SMB2 revisions
>> and thus is backward compatible with SMB2.
>>
> [...]
>
> Thank you very much for this clearification. This explains much strange
> behaviour I faced.
>
> Do you see any chance that this gets fixed in a forseable time? Linux seems to
> support SMBv3 by now. Or is a support considered obsolete and handled
> via /net/samba43?

I am not a FreeBSD expert but I am using mount_smbfs - with some
troubles for a long time. The code base is really old and not well
maintained. There are/were many problems with charset conversions etc.
And there is no mount_smbfs in net/sambaXY packages AFAIK (smbclient is
not an option in our environment were we need to access SMB mounted
files from 3rd party PHP web applications)

It would be really nice if somebody can bring better support for
FreeBSD's SMB/CIFS mount. Maybe through FreeBSD Foundation projects.

> For a security appliance, I try to avoid as much packages as possible, so
> therefore my concerns regarding mount_smbfs.

I can use packages but there is none with mount ability of SMB/CIFS or I
don't know about it.

Miroslav Lachman