mount_smbfs(8): support for SMBv3.02?

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Mar 8 12:53:58 UTC 2016

On Tue, 8 Mar 2016 10:55:25 +0100
Edward Tomasz Napierała <trasz at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On 0303T1047, O. Hartmann wrote:
> > Does FreeBSD's mount_smbfs(8) support for Microsoft's SMBv3 protocol
> > introduced with Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012/R2?
>
> No, it only supports the obsolete SMB1 (aka CIFS) protocol.  Since SMB2
> is a completely different protocol, supporting it properly pretty much
> requires implementing it from scratch.  SMB3 is one of the SMB2 revisions
> and thus is backward compatible with SMB2.

[...]

Thank you very much for this clearification. This explains much strange
behaviour I faced.

Do you see any chance that this gets fixed in a forseable time? Linux seems to
support SMBv3 by now. Or is a support considered obsolete and handled
via /net/samba43?

For a security appliance, I try to avoid as much packages as possible, so
therefore my concerns regarding mount_smbfs.

Thanks you very much,

O. Hartmann