mounting CIFS share (tcp/445) with FreeBSD and mount_smbfs(8)

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Wed Mar 2 14:29:50 UTC 2016

On Tue, 1 Mar 2016 23:39:22 +0200
"Reko Turja" <reko.turja at liukuma.net> wrote:

> [...]

Using others than CIFS is impossible, I'm dependend on existing services.
Within the next forseable time port tcp/139 gets firewalled.

So far I have compiled NETSMB, SMBFS, LIBMCHAIN and LIBICONV (I think the
latter two are prerequests for NETSMB/SMBFS, didn't find much in the very
sparse and unfinished docs for that subject!) into the kernel.

I found this following the exact subject I ran into:

http://agreif.blogspot.de/2014/01/blog-post.html

It doesn't work with either SAMBA 4.3 or Windows Server 2012 R2. Consider the
following situation.

Windows/samba server has IP 10.0.0.1, it's WINS name is locus, its domain is
ASUF the user is pimmel. The passowrd is in /etc/nsmb.conf,
hashed:

[default]
charsets=utf-8:utf-8

[LOCUS:PIMMEL]
address=10.0.0.1
password=$$ajdhasuih57

The, following the above instructions, the mount_smbfs(8) command would be

mount_smbfs -I10.0.0.1 -Wasuf -N //pimmel at 10.0.0.1:445/share /mnt

If -W is fed with ASUF (all uppercase), I get a strange error:

mount_smbfs: invalid local charset specification (IT4)

Connecting to the SAMBA 4.3 server, and with -Wasuf, I get

mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = RPC struct is bad

Connectingto the Windows 2012 R2 server results in

mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = Connection reset by peer

First, the manpage for mount_smbfs(8) is everything else than FreeBSD standard!
There is an unexplained option "-n opt". What is that?

Second, CIFS over tcp/445 seems to be now very(!) common in the Windooze world
- why is that fact not reflected by FreeBSD? I tried to find some
explanations/manpages for "man netsmb" or "smbfs" (the kernel options), but
none found :-(

My interpretation of the above errors are: FreeBSD is incapable to handle CIFS
over tcp/445. The above URL/site claims to have solved the problem, but it
seems not true for CURRENT.